Thursday, June 2, 2011

New Book Alert

I received a few new additions to the Stump Library this week.  The first was given to me at church last Sunday. The pastor asked me to teach on Sunday nights a couple of weeks this fall about the first article of the new Evangelical Free statement of faith.  As context for the changes that have been at the denominational level in the last couple of years, he gave me Evangelical Convictions: A Theological Exposition of the Statement of Faith of the Evangelical Free Church of America.  It's always nice to be given a book!

I really enjoy getting new books, but I also value my library.  I don't feel like I have to go out and buy every book that I think I might ever look at.  So for instance in last week's "Books I've been Reading This Week" post (here), one of those I was skimming through from the library was Jaroslav Pelikan's Christianity and Classical Culture: The Metamorphosis of Natural Theology in the Christian Encounter with Hellenism (sounds like the week for long subtitles).  This is Pelikan's Gifford lectures, and I think I've decided that I'd like to start intentionally collecting Gifford books.  So, trolling the used book sites, I found a nice copy for the right price.

Then, very reasonably, I picked up a used copy of Etienne Gilson's Reason and Revelation in the Middle Ages (no subtitle).

Welcome new members of the family!


No comments: