Sunday, May 29, 2011

Books I've been Reading this Week

Continuing the natural theology research, I've been skipping around in quite a few academic books I got from the library.  One of these I read this week was Stanley Jaki's Lord Gifford and his Lectures. It wasn't for studying, but just for fun to see something of the background of the prestigious Gifford Lectures.  It's now on my bucket list to go and attend them in Scotland someday.

Finished (re)reading McCall Smith's The Sunday Philosophy Club.  For every one of the books in this series, I get about 2/3 of the way through reading occasionally, and then I can't put it down until I'm done.  He's not Tolstoy, but I really enjoy the stories and quasi-philosophical reflection.


Another reread this week was Hearing God by Dallas Willard.  More on this in later posts.


Finally, Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku.  That's one of the new books I talked about here.  I've gotten through about 100 pages of it so far.  It's a lay-friendly tour of 20th century cosmology so far.  "Lay friendly" in these books usually means an absence of mathematics.  Unfortunately trying to explain the latest theories in cosmology without mathematics is like trying to describe what a sunset looks like to a blind man.

1 comment:

D said...

Attend them? When your work hits the UK, you'll be giving them!