Tuesday, March 13, 2012

New Book Alert

Since I started up the blogging discipline again, I've forgotten that one of my usual features used to be the "New Book Alert".  I still have several sitting on my desk that have come my way recently, so let me introduce you to them:

Whose Community? Which Interpretation (Baker Academic, 2009) by Merold Westphal.  He is a Christian philosopher who has been largely out of the limelight emitted by the Reformed and analytic bunch of the last generation.  But when I was down at the WPS, he was the keynote speaker, and I think he is a first rank Christian philosopher in Continental vein.  (At least he explains the stuff so I can understand it!)

A couple of weeks ago, I got a gift certificate to our campus bookstore for participating in some thing.  Sadly I didn't find many books that interested me on the shelves devoted to the general reading public.  So I went to the textbook section and in the required texts for a couple of Meister's classes I found Keith Ward's More than Matter?: Is There More to Life than Molecules (Eerdmans, 2010) and Why There Almost Certainly is a God: Doubting Dawkins (Lion, 2008).

Speaking of Meister, he gave me his latest offering hot off the press: Evil A Guide for the Perplexed (Continuum, 2012).  I read and commented on most of it while it was in manuscript stage.  It is always fun to see such projects packaged properly with a legitimate publisher.

I picked up a few science and religion books when I was writing my seminar paper a few weeks ago:  Toby Huff, Intellectual Curiosity and the Scientific Revolution (Cambridge UP, 2011); Donald S. Lopez Jr., Buddhism and Science: A Guide for the Perplexed (no relation to Meister's perplexing guide) (U of Chicago, 2008).  The novelist Herman Wouk, wrote an interesting memoir about science and religion called, The Language God Talks (Little, Brown, & Co, 2010).  Rosenblum and Kuttner, Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness (Oxford UP, 2011).  Then there is the book that is causing fundamentalists and half the evangelicals to get their panties in a bunch: Peter Enns, The Evolution of Adam: What the Bible does and doesn't Say about Human Origins (Brazos, 2012).

Finally, I picked up some used novels by Margaret Atwood.  I've never read her work, but have encountered it occasionally.  I'm about halfway through The Handmaid's Tale, which is a dystopian story in which radical right wing fundamentalists have somehow come to power (I suspect a nuclear war) and radically subjugate women.  A sort of sequel to that is her Oryx and Crake, and then a more recent one that (I gather) has themes of science and religion, The Year of the Flood.

So many books, so little time... 

No comments: