Sunday, May 22, 2011

Books I've been Reading this Week

I've been working on a paper I'm calling "Natural Theology after Modernism" this week that will go into the Blackwell Companion to Science and Christianity, which I'm editing with Alan Padgett (more on that later).  Almost all of the 55 contributors have submitted their papers, so the editors figured they better get theirs done (I had such good intentions of finishing earlier).  Anyway, in writing it the paper, I've been reading the sections on natural theology in these books:

Michael Buckley, SJ, At the Origins of Modern Atheism.  This is one of my all time favorite books.

Brian Hebblethwaite, Philosophical Theology and Christian Doctrine


John Clayton, Religions, Reasons and Gods


James Sennett and Douglas Groothuis (eds), In Defense of Natural Theology.

Then for fun, I've been reading a couple of novels.  Wendell Berry's Memory of Old Jack is for Robby Prenkert's summer reading group.  First meeting is tonight, and unfortunately I'm going to miss it because I'm participating in the Living Waters 5k at Oxbow County Park in Elkhart.

And then one evening I started rereading Alexander McCall Smith's first Dalhousie novel, The Sunday Philosophy Club.  Every time I read one of those books it makes me think, "Why don't I write one of these?"  Perhaps one day...

No comments: