Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sunday Archives

I'm going to take a Sabbath rest from writing on Sundays. Most of the time I'll just keep silent. Sometimes I'll provide a link to something I've written in the past. Today falls into the latter category.

I used to write a column for the Bethel Beacon (the newspaper published by the Student Council at Bethel). It was called... ready for this... Stump Speeches. Below is a link to the first of these from the fall of 1999. It was a review of this brand new movie that was sweeping the nation: The Matrix.

My thinking about the movie has evolved since then and become more layered and complex, but I would still stand by most of what was said then. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Review of The Matrix (written in 1999, 1082 words)

1 comment:

derryprenkert said...

First off, I'm honored to have a distinguished reader such as yourself. Stop by at any point and feel free to give me a grade on my writings... maybe it will inspire me to pursue that Masters I know I've been putting off.

Second, I vividly remember reading this article in 1999 two weeks after I saw the Matrix. I was convinced that I had seen the the second making of the Jesus Video.

You shook my thinking, in a good way, and in a way in which I still filter through my entertainment viewing to this day.